With the holidays right around the corner, the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety wishes you a safe and happy holiday season. Whether you are entertaining family and friends at home, heading to visit loved ones, or setting off for a fun filled vacation, let's not forget that arriving safe is the best present we can give.
To ensure that you arrive safely wherever your holiday celebrations take you, we ask that you consider these tips:
- Make sure your car is ready for the trip.
- Give yourself plenty of time and know your route. Consider designating a passenger, possibly one of your children, to be navigator.
- Check road conditions and the weather report. Be prepared, pack an emergency road safety kit and snow scrapper.
- Don't over-pack your vehicle. Make sure you have an unobstructed view.
- Pack some snacks for the kids (or yourself) and bottled water, especially if you have a long journey. Know where rest-stops are along the route.
- Don't drive drowsy. Be sure that you've had at least seven hours sleep the night before.
- Ensure everyone is comfortable and buckled-up.
- Obey the speed limits and posted traffic signs.
- Never drink and drive.
- Stay clear of distractions - put your cell phone in the glove compartment, set your mirrors, navigation and radio station before pulling out of the driveway.
And, most importantly remember to be cautious, focused and safe!
Following these tips will help you enjoy your holiday. On behalf of the AAA family, best wishes for a wonderful holiday weekend.